Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Damage Tips with SERVPRO of West Knoxville
After your home or business faces water damages, whether that be from leaks or floods SERVPRO of West Knoxville is ready to respond and ready to restore. While you wait for our SERVPRO of West Knoxville professionals to arrive, there are a few things that you may be able to do. First, your safety is always the most important concern. Electrical hazards should be taken into account as water is of course a conductor of electricity. If you do attempt to remove any items from the water damaged location, remember that these materials can be incredibly heavy.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (865) 690-9658
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.